Razor Storm is a Vertical Spinner and Lifter 3lb Robot from Long Island, New York. It is partially inspired by the Battlebot Whiplash.
|Body Material||TPU, UHMW, Polycarbonate, Nylon, G5 Titanium|
|Weapon||Vertical Spinner & Lifter|
|Weapon Drive||Brushless Outrunner|
|Drive||2 Rectified Robotics Brushless Gearmotors|
|Power||1100 Mah 4S Lipo|
Razor Storm gains a new paint stripe every competition: usually purple, but sometimes red for a secret reason!
- v1 (2020)
- v1.1: This vertical spinner and lifter bot started with 2 wheels and commonly used UHMW wheel guards. It borrowed many components from its predecessor ProtoStorm, including the blade and much of the chassis. Most of the bot was hand-machined save for the blade and pulley. The original Razor Storm had one aluminum wedgelet. Only one lifting arm was connected to the servo; the second was connected by two pieces of Garolite. It had an alternative "light" configuration that replaced the wheel guards with smaller front shields.
- v1.2: The next version had both lifting arms attached to the servo via a bracket and had no Garolite pieces connecting them. A heat gun was also used to help shape the bends in the UHMW wheel guards.
- v1.3: For the 2020 finals, Razor Storm brought stronger lifting arms and a long UHMW wedgelet in place of the old aluminum one. It also brought an alternate configuration with "keep-away sticks" instead of forks on the arms. This was specifically designed to fight Billy.
- v2 (2021-2022)
- v2.1: This was a complete overhaul of the previous design, using almost entirely new parts. Major changes were a switch to 4 wheel drive, custom wheels/hubs, brushless drive motors, an asymmetrical blade, "ears" for inverted driving, machined UHMW lifters, machined HDPE uprights and wedge forks, 3d printed Nylon structural components, and machined titanium front armor, wedges, and wedgelets. The new wedgelet configuration consisted of 2 pairs of 2 fixed wedgelets with room for the lifters to rest protected between them. The wedge configuration, the first this bot has run, had cutouts to allow the lifters to move up. Also, its drive motors were sometimes clogged by wires and wheels would unscrew from their mounts in combat. It had a long design/construction process debuting in September 2021's NHRL.
- v2.2: The next update replaced all HDPE components and the front 3d printed Nylon front plates were replaced with black hand-machined UHMW. The lack of precision unfortunately caused one pair of wedgelets to rest higher off the ground. The addition of 3d printed shields for the drive outrunners made for much more reliable drive. Switching to round belts that were melted together with a heat gun meant the tensioning rods on the sides could be removed. While structural integrity was improved, this version of the bot ran into frequent brown-out issues. The issue of the drive motors being clogged by wires was helped by adding PLA outrunner shields, but not solved entirely. It took too much damage in its first fight to be repaired in time to continue.
- v2.3: This version won first place in a small beetle-sportsman competition at Bayside Robotics in March 2022. It ran a saw blade instead of its usual vertical spinner.
- v3 (2022)
- v3.1: This complete rebuild of the bot featured a 3d printed TPU chassis, hinged wedgelets, and a new lifter setup that would sit in pockets in the front of the chassis for protection. While it was meant to be 4-wheeled, this first version's chassis was bent by the tension of the drive belts. Therefore, a last minute 2 wheeled setup was made the morning of the event. When this was damaged in its first fight, it had to forfeit. Internal upgrades included switching to a lighter weapon motor/esc combo, and attaching connectors to each electronic component.
- v3.2: This version switched the drive from belt-driven to geared. Unfortunately its new tires were cast improperly, giving them a gummy consistency. Its wedgelets would get stuck up when facing vertical spinners. Its gear drive would also sometimes come loose causing wheels to stop spinning. The wheels would also come off fairly easily.
- v3.3: This version debuted new wedgelet mounts that fixed the issue of the wedgelets being stuck up. Despite changes to the gear drive's structure, the gears would still come loose often causing the wheels to stop spinning. However the wheels were more securely mounted now. This version also had a saw blade option for use against non-spinners. Competing in July 2022, it suffered from drive failures and its top plate was ripped off along with its lifter. This bot later fought in grudge matches and rumbles in November and December of 2022, displaying better drive and chassis reliability. These fights revealed the wedge and wedgelet mounts were too weak and the bot overall required unreasonably long repair times. Because it did not formally enter either of these two events, no new stripes were added to Razor Storm.
- Rank: #242 in 3lb.
- Last 5 fights: LLLWL
- Current streak: L1 (1 KOs/KO'd)
- Longest winning streak: 3 (2 KOs)
- Longest losing streak: 7 (7 KO'd)
- Avg fight time (seconds): 101.7
|September 19, 2020||Razor Storm||Losers 5||5||3||2||2||2|
|November 21, 2020||Razor Storm||Losers 2||2||0||2||0||1|
|December 6, 2020||Razor Storm||Losers 5||3||1||2||0||1|
|September 18, 2021||Razor Storm||Losers 5||3||1||2||1||2|
|November 13, 2021||Razor Storm||Winners 2||1||0||1||0||1|
|March 26, 2022||Razor Storm||Undefeated 1B||1||0||1||0||1|
|April 23, 2022||Razor Storm||Elimination 2||2||0||2||0||2|
|July 16, 2022||Razor Storm||Elimination Round 2||3||1||2||0||2|
|Sepi01||2||0||2||0||2||September 18, 2021|
|Not Quite Done||1||1||0||1||0||September 19, 2020|
|Spooky Bite Bite||1||1||0||1||0||September 19, 2020|
|LuxRay Mega X||1||1||0||1||0||September 18, 2021|
|Hit Me Baby One More Time||1||1||0||0||0||September 19, 2020|
|Odachi||1||1||0||0||0||July 16, 2022|
|Billy||1||1||0||0||0||December 6, 2020|
|Epidemic||1||0||1||0||1||September 19, 2020|
|Booooring||1||0||1||0||1||September 19, 2020|
|Project LiftOff||1||0||1||0||1||September 18, 2021|
|Outburst||1||0||1||0||1||November 13, 2021|
|Apex||1||0||1||0||1||March 26, 2022|
|Silk||1||0||1||0||1||July 16, 2022|
|Fallout||1||0||1||0||1||July 16, 2022|
|Droopy||1||0||1||0||1||December 6, 2020|
|Da Dum Tsss||1||0||1||0||1||April 23, 2022|
|Hurt Caboose||1||0||1||0||1||April 23, 2022|
|Polywog||1||0||1||0||0||November 21, 2020|
|Shreddit Bro||1||0||1||0||0||December 6, 2020|
Click "Expand" to see this table.
Full Fight History
|Date||Opponent||Round||Result||By||Points||Fight Length (s)||Video|
|September 19, 2020||Spooky Bite Bite||Winners 1||Win||KO||1.00||91||https://youtu.be/Vj7HnABJQao|
|September 19, 2020||Not Quite Done||Winners 2||Win||KO||1.00||153||https://youtu.be/NGBsxznrG8Q|
|September 19, 2020||Hit Me Baby One More Time||Winners 3||Win||Judges Decision||1.00||180||https://youtu.be/IbfXu96YhV8|
|September 19, 2020||Epidemic||Winners 4||Loss||KO||-1.29||35||https://youtu.be/D9qngIZpXCY|
|September 19, 2020||Booooring||Losers 5||Loss||KO||-1.00||174||https://youtu.be/bwDIXG59ER0?t=27742|
|November 21, 2020||Polywog||Winners 2||Loss||Judges Decision||-1.00||180||https://youtu.be/RPFsS82FG90|
|November 21, 2020||Sepi01||Losers 2||Loss||KO||-1.11||21||https://youtu.be/ggUh54XlMrQ|
|December 6, 2020||Epidemic||Winners 2||Win||Forfeit||0.00|
|December 6, 2020||Billy||Winners 3||Win||Judges Decision||1.59||180||https://youtu.be/0RLMKRBZ67I|
|December 6, 2020||Droopy||Winners 4||Loss||KO||-1.00||70||https://youtu.be/l3P_mnzG_LI|
|December 6, 2020||Shreddit Bro||Losers 5||Loss||Judges Decision||-1.00||180||https://youtu.be/C5pvxayBLUc|
|July 24, 2021||Dakka!||Winners 1||Win||Forfeit||0.00|
|July 24, 2021||LuxRay Mega X||Winners 2||Win||Forfeit||0.00|
|July 24, 2021||Blackbird||Winners 3||Loss||Forfeit||0.00|
|July 24, 2021||Mini IronClad||Losers 4||Loss||Forfeit||0.00|
|September 18, 2021||LuxRay Mega X||Winners 2||Win||KO||1.13||128||https://youtu.be/McNXHRM9n4I?t=1299|
|September 18, 2021||Tothik||Winners 3||Win||Forfeit||0.00|
|September 18, 2021||Project LiftOff||Winners 4||Loss||KO||-1.00||35||https://youtu.be/McNXHRM9n4I?t=20200|
|September 18, 2021||Sepi01||Losers 5||Loss||KO||-1.00||89||https://youtu.be/McNXHRM9n4I?t=23986|
|November 13, 2021||Outburst||Winners 2||Loss||KO||-1.00||113||https://youtu.be/ds70uaP__A4?t=13524|
|November 13, 2021||Da Dum Tsss||Losers 1||Loss||Forfeit||0.00|
|March 26, 2022||Apex||Undefeated 1B||Loss||KO||-1.04||24||https://youtu.be/uZmq9Hl75Ts?t=5259|
|March 26, 2022||Wreckfest||Elimination 1A||Loss||Forfeit||0.00|
|April 23, 2022||Da Dum Tsss||Undefeated 1||Loss||KO||-1.00||95||https://youtu.be/wf528BQr0eA?t=2431|
|April 23, 2022||Hurt Caboose||Elimination 2||Loss||KO||-1.00||31||https://youtu.be/LmS-A1QhbRc?t=10139|
|July 16, 2022||Fallout||Undefeated Round 2||Loss||KO||-1.00||45||https://youtu.be/Y7ICJDeDdfY?t=3848|
|July 16, 2022||Odachi||Elimination Round 1||Win||Judges Decision||1.24||180||https://youtu.be/p76hqdy44QU?t=2514|
|July 16, 2022||Silk||Elimination Round 2||Loss||KO||-1.00||30||https://youtu.be/Y7ICJDeDdfY?t=16508|
* Forfeits are not counted in a bot's W-L record.
For more information on how points are calculated for rankings, click here.
Click "Expand" to see this table.
- Fifth/Sixth Place - NHRL September 19th 2020