Shreking Ball is an 8" ball that was built as an engineering challenge. When powered on, it glows green.
Shreking Ball, to my knowledge, is the first (and possibly last) of its kind. It bears some resemblance to TUZI (a Chinese competitor robot which fought in Season 2 of King of Bots). Shreking Ball's two sides are locked together form a solid shell that spins as one unit (TUZI's two sides were really wheels shaped as half-spheres).
Shreking Ball rolls around the arena like a "mad hamster stuck in a ball". It has an internal reaction wheel which can be used to rotate the bot, but the weight of the reaction wheel was undersized and turned the bot too slowly for competition.
The first appearance was at the November 2020 NHRL event. It features a (mostly) vertical spinner weapon, embedded inside the ball that protrudes 0.75" outside the ball. The main body is varying thicknesses of HDPE, cut with CNC. The two ends that cap the sphere are TPU. The internal weapon pulleys and drive gearing are 3D printed nylon.
|Weight Class||3lb +2lb no wheels bonus|
|Body Material||HDPE (CNC) + TPU (3D printed)|
|Weapon||Vertical Spinner, 200 grams|
|Weapon Drive||1 x FliteTest 2218 Brushless Motor, belt driven|
|Drive||1 x FliteTest 2218 Brushless Motor, 2 stage gear driven|
|Power||4S 650mah LiPo|
There are several big issues with this design approach:
- Directional Control - Shreking Ball can move quickly forward or backward, however, it cannot turn quickly. An internal reaction wheel was added directly centered on the vertical axis, but it was undersized (in order to stay within its weight requirement). Even then, powering the reaction wheel up/down would turn the ball, but if the down/up were done too quickly, the rotation would be reversed. The small size resulted in slow turns and not was not used during its matches.
- Weapon Reach and Orientation: The weapon's reach was too minimal to create effective strikes; that coupled with the fact that the weapon tended to roll with the bot when it lost its footing made it hard to drive to weapon into the opponent.
- Durability : Shreking Ball is close to indestructible. It is encased inside a thick durable shell, making it almost impossible to harm the internal robot.
|NHRL January||Did Not Compete|
|NHRL July 1||Did Not Compete|
|NHRL July 2||Did Not Compete|
|NHRL September||Did Not Compete|
|NHRL November||0 Wins - 2 Losses|
In its first fight in 2020, Shreking Ball went up against Droopy, which is also a 5 lbs bot with two very heavy and destructive horizontal spinners. The match was fun to watch... both bots went aggressively after each other and when Droopy made contact, Shreking Ball went flying. Needless to say, given Shreking Ball's lack of a controllable weapon, it did minimal damage to Droopy, while putting a few hundred cuts in the arena floor. Droopy landed some massive hits, which resulted in cracking one of Shreking Ball's rings (and adding 24 gashes around the rest of the bot). Shreking Ball made it to the end of the match, and Droopy was awarded the judges decision.
In its second match, Shreking Ball was up against Booooring. Given that both of these bots have minimal/ineffective weaponry, it was mesmerizing to watch the green glowing ball, but the match lacked the big hits of the first match. Given the length of repairs from the first match, Shreking Ball's battery was not completely charged and it ran out of power in the last 20 seconds of the match.
Changes being Considered
- More LEDs... make this bot glow.
- Internal structure much heavier (thicker) than necessary. Much weight can be saved. (for that internal reaction wheel).
- Gearing was done the original way in order to use a brushless motor... would drop two stage gearing and switch to a single stage using a geared brushed motor. This will also save weight.
- Pondering other ways to make this ball more controllable... please share your insights.
- Might close up the ball completely and move the weapon to side edges.
- Rank: Unranked in 3lb.
- Last 5 fights: LL
- Current streak: L2 (2 KOs/KO'd)
- Longest winning streak: 0 (0 KOs)
- Longest losing streak: 2 (2 KO'd)
- Avg fight time (seconds): 176.5
|November 21, 2020||Shrekingball||Losers 2||2||0||2||0||2|
|Droopy||1||0||1||0||1||November 21, 2020|
|Booooring||1||0||1||0||1||November 21, 2020|
Click "Expand" to see this table.
Full Fight History
|Date||Opponent||Round||Result||By||Points||Fight Length (s)||Video|
|November 21, 2020||Droopy||Winners 2||Loss||KO||-1.00||192||https://youtu.be/uk7uQBounGM?t=10197|
|November 21, 2020||Booooring||Losers 2||Loss||KO||-1.00||161||https://youtu.be/0BKcW8KbB_E|
* Forfeits are not counted in a bot's W-L record.
For more information on how points are calculated for rankings, click here.
Click "Expand" to see this table.